Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Homage?

While perusing through CG Hub today...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? I think it's kind of neat actually to think that someone was inspired by my stuff like this. I really like the improved color palette and composition Xiaosa chose, but at least change the obvious design elements and maybe shoot me some credit. I made the Ranger concept art for Diablo 3 in 2005.

Xiaosa's CG Hub

I actually began updating it back in 2009, but put it aside and haven't done anything with it since.

6 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me why someone with obvious talent would feel the need to do this.
    Sam Nielson had a similar experience a while back.
    http://artsammich.blogspot.com/2011/05/good-artists-borrow-great-artists-steal.html

    Whatever happened to having pride in making your own art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I saw that one. It's pretty blatant too. I don't get it. Pride aside, the fear of being discovered as a swiper would prevent me from doing this. If I did want to swipe, I would definitely give credit to the source of inspiration. At least then it wouldn't be shady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great gesture. I can see why that person wanted to copy you. I've had it happen to me too and while it seems kind of flattering, it's also annoying. In my case a well known artist painted over my work to promote her own art book. I really didn't need to do anything. At that point the community pretty much ousted her. I'm interested to see what happens to the poor soul who ripped you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Legs of a woman, arms of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there was a guy who took a painting of kekai kotaki overpainted it and used it as entry for the d3 art contest. i reported it.

    this is SO contemptible. there should be a much harsher reaction from the community to such obvious art theft.

    also since they are already famous for product thievery there is no wonder most art thefts are chinese.

    ReplyDelete